Job Description / Duties
The Technical Support Analyst provides Level II technical support with respect to software applications and hardware. Responsible for assisting Level I personnel solve basic technical problems and for investigating elevated issues by confirming the validity of the problem and seeking for known solutions related to these more complex issues.
Purpose and Key Functions:
* Diagnose, assess, circumvent, and find remedies for a variety of service incidents that deviate from planned or expected information system behaviour.
* Combine investigative, analytical, and design skills with knowledge of hardware and software applications and technology.
* Provide technical expertise and functional support for software and hardware package implementations to meet business requirements.
* Analyze and evaluate the impact of application enhancements.
* Provide expertise and practical assistance in delivering services that comply with established standards.
* Identify, evaluate, and prioritize customer problems and complaints to ensure that inquiries are successfully resolved.
* Carry out investigative work on a variety of requirements, information flow, and processes.
* Elicit additional information from users to accurately diagnose problems.
* Implement non-standard solutions and work-arounds.
* Analyze and evaluate support reports and make recommendations to reduce potential calls to the Service Desk.
* Review and assess systems and software production quality management against established standards.
* Evaluate hardware, software, and transmission service alternatives as business requirements change.
* Demonstrate innovation in applying knowledge to non-standard situations.
* Localize and rectify faults in network connectivity and applications and respond to non-routine user problems.
* Analyze, examine, and validate processes.
* Interpret technical and procedure manuals for non-technical users.
* Set priorities for problem resolution, monitor progress, and apply the appropriate escalation procedures.
* Train clients in the use of applications and computer systems.
* Provide detailed technical advice and guidance to users, clients, and staff.
* Produce technical and descriptive documentation.
* Investigate means to improve service levels given technology trends.
* Interact with testing team and provide technical input, support, and analysis for software and hardware specifications.
* Research, evaluate, and recommend new products and upgrades.
* Disassemble and reassemble computer hardware and peripherals using a variety of hand tools.
* Handle minuscule and delicate components when repairing equipment which requires precision placement and removal.
* Remain current with frequent advances in the field of information technology.
* Plan, schedule, and monitor own work within short time horizons.
* Organize individual time, work and resources to accomplish objectives in the most effective and efficient way.
* Understand and use appropriate methods, tools, and applications to complete work tasks.
* Demonstrate a rational and organized approach to work and identify development opportunities.
* Absorb technical information when it is presented systematically and apply it effectively.
* Use measurement methods to monitor progress toward goal attainment, tenaciously working to meet or exceed those goals, while deriving satisfaction from the process of goal achievement and continuous improvement.
* Ensure that the internal and external customer perspective is a driving force behind decisions and activities.
* Follow service practices that meet customers’ and University needs.
* Interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the University.
* Work collaboratively with others to achieve departmental and institutional goals. Actively participate as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
* Perform a range of varied work activities in a variety of structured environments.
* Successfully engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously.
* Apply and enforce department change control policies and procedures.
Qualifications / Required Skills
3 year Community College diploma in Computer Technology or related field of study.
Requires 3 years of relevant experience.
The successful candidate will have the following skills, qualifications and abilities:
-Expert in providing technical support for user groups of varying technical skill levels
-Excellent communication, organizational and customer service skills
-Ability and experience in training non-technical staff in the use of complex software systems
-Experience creating and maintaining documentation for both technical and non-technical users
-Knowledge of common systems integration tools and techniques
-Knowledge of Single Sign On technologies and processes
-Understanding of basic web design guidelines and technologies
-Experience working with software vendors in a SAAS environment is beneficial
-Experience in a higher-ed IT environment is an asset
-Knowledge of AODA legislation as it applies to web technologies is valuable
Please apply online (Job ID: 57935) - https://epprd.mcmaster.ca/psp/prepprd/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_EMP.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Employee&SiteId=1001&JobOpeningId=57935&PostingSeq=1
Salary: $23.93 - $37.15 (hourly)
Manager, Student Affairs Technology Team
The Student Affairs Tech Team at McMaster University is seeking a motivated and highly skilled individual to take on this challenging role. The successful applicant, under the supervision of the I.T. Manager and Technical Support Specialist, will be responsible for providing full support for McMaster’s campus-wide Orbis platform (referred to internally as OSCARplus) which supports career, co-op and experiential education programming across the campus. In supporting this application, the Technical Support Analyst will work closely with faculty career offices, students, employers and other partners to ensure that all aspects of the service operate efficiently. In addition, this role will liaise with the software vendor, McMaster's central I.T. Department and various other campus partners. This position will also be involved in researching and recommending improvements to the system and guiding the University through required system upgrades.