This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Education
Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University grew into a vibrant college in the 1930s and became a mid-sized university in 2009. Mount Royal has carved out a distinct niche by offering smaller class sizes, a robust liberal education and unique undergraduate programs. Currently, nearly 14,000 credit students choose from 12 bachelor degrees and 32 majors.
Providing services that compliment and support students’ academic experience, Career Services enhances student employability through career education, employment and Co-op/work experience programs. Career Services offers a range of services and activities for students, graduates and employers.
About the Role
The Director of Career Services is a senior Student Affairs and Campus Life professional responsible for developing strategies that positively impact key stakeholders; students, faculty and employers. Design and implementation of strategies requires effective collaboration with leaders in the University and with employers, local, national and international.
The Director has direct responsibility for a number of service areas. While managed individually by professionals, the Director is responsible for enabling and facilitating these areas to work collaboratively to create synergy, effectiveness and efficiency. Strategic allocation of resources in a centralized department to capitalize on efficiencies is critical in a fast-paced, changing environment. These areas include Career Education and Employment and academic support to 8 mandatory work experience programs and the administration of Co-operative Education.
• Responsible for the leadership and management of Career Services.
• Designing and implementing a performance management model in conjunction with the department mentorship program in order to support new and existing employees to lead high functioning teams.
• Providing direct supervision as it relates to the operation and planning of the following areas: human resource issues; budget planning, execution and accountability; professional development; and, program and services development and implementation.
• Providing strategic direction for Career Services ensuring that programs and services are in alignment with Institutional Strategic Plans to directly support students in obtaining their credentials.
• Directing the creation of the vision, mission and strategic planning framework for the department.
• Accountable to meeting the goals and objectives that have a direct impact on students obtaining their credential.
• Ensuring programs and services are in alignment with faculty and academic programs that directly support students obtaining their credential.
• Liaising, collaborating, promoting and providing expertise to key stakeholders in the University community in design and development of academic programs with an experiential component.
• Ensuring resources are in place to provide timely service and support to administration, deans and directors in the development of experiential programming.
• Ensuring a high level of quality control and alignment with the University mission and vision when staff are marketing to external business partners.
• Developing and maintaining partnerships with external businesses to ensure the success of our work experience and Co-op programs and to support students and alumni with employment opportunities. Providing expertise to key stakeholders within the MRU community in design and development of academic programs
• As a member of Student Affairs and Campus Life leadership team, co-responsible for the development and implementation of the divisions strategic plan. Working collaboratively with departments within the division to provide comprehensive and progressive programs and services to support the holistic development and academic success of MRU’s students.
• Participating in University-wide committees is critical to build awareness and support the direction of the Division and liaising with faculty members and the SAMRU.
• Engaging in scholarly activity and research to maintain high standards of program development and reputation. Presenting at conferences, developing costing models to support programs, creating and maintaining policies and documents to ensure minimal liability to the University.
• Responsible to create and oversee policies, procedures, documents to support Work Experience, Co-operative Education and Career Education and Employment Development programs. These support Student Code of Conduct in appeals and cases that involve litigation.
• Minimum University Master Degree or Equivalent Post Graduate studies.
• Minimum 6 – 10 years of related experience in the field, preferably in post-secondary.
• Minimum 5 years’ experience supervising staff and substantive budget responsibility.
• Sensitivity and tact in communications with internal and external stakeholders.
• Excellent presentation/engagement skills and abilities.
• Experience with creating a 3 to 5 year plan with annual goals required to align with resources and ensure regular review/assessment of the plan. Monitor progress and implementation of the plan.
At Mount Royal University, we recognize that people are a combination of many intersecting identities; we work to cultivate an environment that welcomes the whole person, and harnesses the strength that is available in our diversity, creating a rich and inclusive workplace where each person's individuality is appreciated.
Mount Royal University offers a competitive total compensation package including health and dental benefits, pension, a health spending account, paid vacation, Christmas leave, personal days and a free membership to our fully equipped recreation centre.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. After the close date, you can check on the status of your application through your Career Centre. New career opportunities arise frequently and are posted as they become available. Please check back often to view our latest postings on our Career Opportunities page. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Mount Royal University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity as a source of excellence, intellectual and cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome applications from those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, faculty and their scholarship including but not limited to Indigenous Peoples, women, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual or gender identity, ethnic, national or socio-economic background, religion or age.
Salary: Please visit the website for more information: https://mtroyalca.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/758
Closing Date: May 27, 2019
A cover letter and resume should be submitted in one .pdf formatted document. Please title your .pdf document as follows: [Job Title], [Requisition Number].pdf (ex. Coordinator, 999999.pdf).
All job postings are developed jointly by the hiring unit and Human Resources. Human Resources has final authority and approval on all postings. The posting draft should be sent firstname.lastname@example.org when the requisition within eRecruiter is created.