This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Other
The Career and Student Services Assistant provides administrative and student career support services to the campus Department of Career Services and Student Services.
The incumbent assists the Career Services Manager with one-on-one student and alumni advising in career related needs while maintaining a supportive and professional rapport. Provides support for campus career related events, and data management support to the internship program and the online Career portal system, Career Quest.
In addition, the incumbent will assist the Career Services Department with the coordination and execution of special projects, coordinating the daily operations of the office, ensuring the proper adherence to policies and procedures, maintaining a proactive and energetic rapport with students and staff, and providing data management support.
Responsibilities will also include assisting the Student Services Department with events, activities, and various administrative needs. The incumbent will also interact with campus staff, faculty, students, alumni, and other constituencies on behalf of the Career Services and Student Services Departments.
The Career and Student Services Assistant reports to the Career Services Manager and receives general supervision concerning objectives to be achieved. The incumbent is expected to work independently and collaboratively on daily tasks and special projects.
1. Bachelor's degree or a combination of equivalent related work experience and education
2. A minimum of 2 years of successful administrative experience in office management or career development, preferably in an academic environment.
3. Excellent oral and written communication skills and outstanding interpersonal skills.
4. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
5. Proficiency in the use of computerized systems for word processing, spreadsheet, data management, e-mail, internet research, and other applications. High degree of competence with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access). Familiarity with Colleague a plus. Ability to quickly learn new applications as required.
6. Demonstrated ability to coordinate special projects.
7. Proficiency in a second language an asset.
8. Canadian residency or work permit required.
9. Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background check. Candidates for hire will be required to sign a waiver authorizing the background check.
This is a 12 month temporary contract to start in March
1. Responsible for working closely with the Career Services Manager, Director of Student Services, as well as other key internal and external constituent groups.
2. Provides diversified clerical and administrative support to the Career Services Manager, and other areas such as Student Services and to the Campus Executive. May compose routine correspondence and other material independently or based on guidelines provided and requiring knowledge of office procedures and practices and/or specialized terminology. Other responsibilities include preparation of information packages, filing, faxing, photocopying and e-mailing.
3. Maintains outstanding interpersonal communications.
4. Assists with the coordination of planning and execution of Career Services events, i.e., career fairs, job fairs, employee networking events, alumni receptions, etc.
5. Assists in Career Services workshops as needed.
6. Participates in events, activities, and orientation organized by Student Services
7. Conducts student and alumni individualized advising sessions for resume and cover letter editing, interview skills coaching, and business etiquette coaching.
8. Prepares and updates online and on-campus job notice boards, and ensures that students and staff are informed of job postings and internship postings.
9. Prepares and prints weekly job postings for Business, Health, Technology, Management, and part-time jobs.
10. Compiles and publishes a monthly career related student newsletter.
11. Contributes to career related social media communications on Facebook and Twitter.
12. Updates Student Internship Files and Spreadsheets.
13. Helps with Career Services information management, student and alumni statistics analysis.
14. Maintains Career Quest student profile training and maintenance.
15. Performs other work related duties as assigned.
Career Services Manager
Fairleigh Dickinson University
842 Cambie Street, Vancouver, BC Canada V6B 2P6
Fairleigh Dickinson University - Vancouver Campus is one of the largest independent, not for profit universities in BC, enrolling over 980 students in graduate and undergraduate studies. While our Vancouver campus opened in 2007, our university was founded in New Jersey in 1942, and is the state’s largest independent University, serving 12,000 graduate and undergraduate students. FDU has two US campuses in northern New Jersey, as well as the Vancouver campus, and another in Wroxton, England.
FDU Vancouver’s degree programs are accredited in the US and in Canada through the BC Ministry of Advanced Education. Fairleigh Dickinson University is a center of academic excellence dedicated to the preparation of world citizens through global education. The University strives to provide students with the multidisciplinary, intercultural and ethical understandings necessary to participate, lead and prosper in the global marketplace of ideas, commerce and culture.