(11 months - Career Growth)
(11-month contract, starting in September 2011)
DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University – Hamilton Main Campus and the Ron Joyce Centre, Burlington
Grade: 9 Salary Range: $57,202 - $68,941
The Centre for Business Career Development delivers innovative excellence in three key areas:
-Strategic Employer Partnerships
This 12-person team supports 2400 Commerce and more than 300 MBA students each year. This position is a new role to complement the current 2-person RM team in Hamilton and 3-RM team in Burlington, whose results will strengthen our service delivery model across both sites during their peak times.
This role provides leadership supporting both Commerce and MBA programs in four main areas:
• Lead the career development process for all DeGroote students including the preparation and coaching of students through one-on-one coaching, workshop design/delivery and other career related activities.
• Identify, develop and cultivate key strategic employer relationships to present a breadth of employment opportunities for all DeGroote Commerce students and create sustainable employer/alumni partnerships for the purposes of the student’s development as part of their experiential learning and/or post-graduate employment.
• Actively participate in the design and delivery of the career development course (3IN0) educating between 210 Level III Commerce students who are interested in pursuing the Commerce Internship Program (CIP). Expected with this role is a promotional ambassadorial role to recruit and educate prospective students of DeGroote’s experiential learning environments for the Undergraduate program.
• Actively participate in the recruitment process for DeGroote’s MBA Co-op Program.
The incumbent will create and deliver innovative, leading-edge career development programs for Commerce students to ensure that students are equipped with the requisite skills, knowledge and behaviours to achieve their career potential upon completion of their program. The ability to confidently create and deliver workshops, lectures and interactive activities are important components of the career development aspect of this role. As well, the position enhances the learning process for the students by taking a leadership role of coach and advisor. Setting objectives, creating job search strategies, monitoring progress, reviewing student profiles, and delivering feedback in one-on-one forums are required of this position.
This position is an ambassador of the DeGroote program and actively participates in business community events to identify key employer partnerships as they relate to DeGroote’s Business programs. Reflecting the DeGroote brand, this role is expected to be knowledgeable on all aspects of DeGroote’s Commerce Program (to be knowledgeable of McMaster University is an asset). Cold calling, onsite presentations, site visits, ongoing employer follow-up and recruiting partnerships with employers are all key activities of the role. Market research and analysis is expected to ensure that DeGroote is meeting the changing trends in the business community as it relates to skill development, growth in key industries and applying these trends to the programs offered at the Centre for Business Career Development.
The incumbent interviews, using behaviourally-based tools, all potential MBA Co-op students and makes recommendations on admission to the MBA Academic Services Office at DeGroote.
Commerce Internship Program:
Participates in the design and delivery of the all aspects of the internship program for undergraduate students including workshops, coaching, site visits and resource materials.
• The successful applicant will have a minimum of an undergraduate university degree, preferably Business Administration.
• Strong knowledge and/or experience in one or more industry is required.
• Experience in an educational environment (co-operative education preferred) or executive recruitment is an asset.
• Solid experience in business marketing along with proven coaching and facilitation skills is necessary.
• Excellent written and oral skills are essential.
• Multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment, effectively prioritizing activities and managing stress with a high degree of maturity and professionalism are critical.
• Computer literacy is non-negotiable with particular emphasis on PowerPoint, Excel and Word.
• Previous experience in managing projects, teaching workshops and public speaking are all vital to the success of this position.
• This role will work from both sites each week (ie. 3 days/Hamilton and 2 days/Burlington).
• Extensive travel (may include overnight trips) during peak times of the year and activities outside of normal business hours are expected.
• The successful applicant must have a valid driver’s license.
To apply, please click here: https://workingatmcmaster.hua.hrsmart.com/ats/js_job_details.php?reqid=4243