The Manager, Career Centre reports directly to the Associate Dean, Undergrad and works closely with Associate Dean, Graduate and other administrative staff within the Haskayne School of Business.
The purpose of this position is to be the champion of and provide leadership to the Career Centre. This position serves as a liaison to stakeholders (industry, professional associations, U of C Career Services, etc), developing and implementing plans and strategies, which appropriately reflect stakeholder interests and are well aligned with those of the Haskayne School of Business. The position provides clear direction and strong leadership to the team of staff within the Career Centre, ensuring the support and service provided are of the highest quality, taking their already strong reputation to the next level of excellence. The position plays a significant role in high-level decision-making and will be accountable for specific areas of the strategic plan as they relate to the scope of the Career Centre.
- 50% management of the Career Centre and 50% Business Development.
- Provide vision, strategic direction, leadership, and day-to-day management to the Career Centre; doing so with a continual focus on excellence in organizational practices and building expertise in the field of Business.
- Responsible as the Department Budget Owner of the Career Centre; develop and prepare budget projections for ongoing development and expansion activities, Business Process approval in PeopleSoft etc.
- Develop and implement internal processes and guidelines to address changing needs of the School, including areas, which may be impacted by industry trends and various needs of external stakeholders.
- Implement clear and actionable plans to ensure the objectives of the Career Centre are achieved, then measure and communicate the success.
- Provide guidance and day-to-day leadership to staff to ensure efficient and high quality service within the Career Centre.
- Reports to Manager duties such as time approval, initiation of transactions, annual performance reviews etc.
- Consult with and assist the Associate Dean, Undergrad.
- Responsible for hiring, termination, performance management, learning and development, succession planning of department administrative staff.
- Provide summary reports and statistics that permit employers, the Haskayne School of Business, and students to evaluate the performance of the Centre in meeting their needs etc.
- Represent the Career Centre on campus, in the community, and with industry.
- Develop and maintain a network of contacts on campus, in industry, in the community at large and in the career-related services community (world-wide). Leverage this network to facilitate the success of the Career Centre in meeting the needs of students, employers and Haskayne School of Business.
- Maintain constant awareness of industry, the labour market/environment, and economy in order to adjust the services or focus of the Career Centre and provide current and relevant information to students and employers.
- Lead by example in demonstrating trust, high quality of work, strong work ethic, and strive for continuous improvement/excellence.
- Bachelor of Commerce/Business Admin or equivalent.
- Professional designation as asset.
- Masters of Business Administration considered as asset.
- 8 to 10 years experience with career learning and development.
- 5 to 6 years of proven management/supervisory experience.
- 5 to 6 years of business development experience.
- Knowledge of industry, particularly within Alberta but also nationally and internationally and a strong understanding of business roles and assignments.
- Established contacts and an expansive network within industry and the community.
- Knowledge of university business programs and academic and administrative policies and procedures.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- The ability to communicate both to academics and to the wider stakeholder group.
- Strong leadership skills combined with excellent organizational and communication skills.
- An in-depth knowledge and experience of university policies, procedures and core business systems is required.
- Knowledge of University reporting, organizational and governance structures
- Proven skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), Internet skills, Peoplesoft and eProcurement Systems etc.
- Able to work well under pressure, making key decisions and demonstrating good judgment in a fast-paced environment with many conflicting priorities, meeting internal and external deadlines.
- Proven excellent organizational, analytical and problem solving skills are required
- Must be open to learning and development, and be willing to accept new challenges and assignments.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with high interruptions from phones, staff and other inquiries, which require excellent time management skills to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Understands and maintains confidentiality, demonstrating diplomacy and good judgment.
Application Deadline: This posting will remain open until the position is filled. However, applicants will be reviewed as they are received. To apply to the this position, please visit https://prdcgw.ehs.ucalgary.ca/uc_cg.html
Salary Range: $60,000 – $96,200
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
The University of Calgary respects, appreciates, and encourages diversity.