This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Education
Reporting to an Executive Director, the Researcher is primarily responsible for reviewing external research publications funded and developed by HEQCO, undertaking quantitative and/or qualitative research in support of internal HEQCO projects and publications, assisting with the development of RFPs and the evaluation of submissions, as well as other administrative responsibilities.
In a multi-project environment, incumbents will perform one or more of the following responsibilities to support HEQCO initiatives:
1. Review: When external reports on HEQCO funded research projects are submitted, reviews and provides commentary on the use and analysis of qualitative, quantitative or mixed methods research. The resulting recommendations will assist the HEQCO project lead and Research Editor in determining next steps, and assist the principal investigator(s)/ author(s) in undertaking final revisions for eventual publication of the report by HEQCO.
2. Research: When required for inclusion in internally generated HEQCO research projects, internal reports, publications or presentations, or for the generation of evidence-based policy recommendations for onward transmission to the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) and the broader postsecondary sector, undertakes collection and/or analysis of, and writes or contributes to reports or summaries of:
a. survey, administrative, finance or other quantitative data, and/or
b. interviews, focus groups, publications, documents or other qualitative data.
3. Requests for Proposals (RFP): Participates in the development and issuing of RFPs, and in the review and evaluation of submissions for RFPs.
a. reviews applications for HEQCO intern or staff postings and/or assists with interviews;
b. develops and refines guidelines dealing with document management, contract management, communications, etc. and ensures compliance with those guidelines;
c. assists with the organization and running of various working group meetings, teleconference calls, conferences or other events;
d. assists in project management and administration.
a. Attends and undertakes presentations at meetings, conferences and workshops to showcase HEQCO research, and develops and enhances connections with the broader higher education community, especially the MTCU and Ontario colleges and universities.
• Preference for a Masters’ degree or college postgraduate certificate completed or underway in education, social science, economics, public policy, etc. or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Some recent experience in applied research utilizing quantitative and qualitative methods.
• Experience in data collection, management and analysis.
Knowledge and Skills:
• The ability to communicate tactfully and diplomatically both orally and electronically.
• Strong research, writing and presentation skills.
• Skilled in the use of relevant office software (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio) and preferably also statistical software such as STATA or SPSS.
• Knowledge of the postsecondary sector in Ontario and Canada, and/or postsecondary issues related to HEQCO research priorities.
• Ability to multitask, to remain organized under pressure, and to work to deadlines.
Interested applicants are invited to submit both a cover letter and resume electronically to HEQCO by Monday January 27, 2014 1:00 p.m. EST at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. Attach your cover letter and resume as a one (1) PDF or Word document using the following naming format: 2014-researcher-LastNameFirstName
All interviews will take place in person at the HEQCO office. Please note only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If selected for an interview, you will be required to provide three (3) references for potential follow up.
Established in, 2005, the Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario (HEQCO) is an agency of the Government of Ontario, Canada, that brings evidence-based research to the continued improvement of the province’s postsecondary education system. As part of its mandate, HEQCO evaluates the postsecondary sector and provides policy recommendations to the Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities to enhance the access, quality and accountability of Ontario’s colleges and universities. Current research includes innovations in teaching and learning, learning outcomes, the relationship between postsecondary education and the labour force, system design and system performance indicators.