This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Education
Reporting to the Director, Career Services and Counselling, the Co-operative Education Advisor works collaboratively as part of a team conducting labor market research, identifying target markets, recruiting new employers that match the skills of students and provide meaningful work term experiences. The incumbent develops and maintains key employer accounts through regular meetings and follow-up communication to address recruitment questions and solicit job postings. In conjunction with other Co-op Education Advisors, the incumbent is responsible for implementing strategies, which ensure academic learning is transferred to the workplace, and vice versa, through classroom instruction, on-site visits, evaluations and on-going support to both student and employer, regarding performance and learning issues.
• Delivers Coop 221 (Employment Pre-placement) course using appropriate employment preparation materials and teaching methodologies based on the changing demands of the workplace ensuring the effective transfer of classroom learning to the work environment
• Prepares and advises students individually and through classroom instruction on the transition from college to the workplace
• Provides individual assessments by meeting with the student to uncover potential barriers to employment, investigates student employment expectations, motivation and attitudes. Reviews the student resume and cover letter to ensure it represents the student well.
• Utilizes creative marketing and relationship building techniques to attract new employers to engage in the Co-op program, ; maintaining employer contact through regular meetings and follow up communication
• Assists with the organization of special events to engage employers on campus
• Conducts on-site monitoring visits to solicit feedback from the employer about student progress on the job and to ensure that the student’s learning outcomes are progressing, and mediating between employer and student when necessary
• Evaluates and assigns an academic grade to students based on employer evaluation and review of written work term reports
• Manages the job posting/closing process, enters information on Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system, manages caseload of assigned students, updates student files and enters grades on Banner
• Adheres to the Career Services and Co-operative Education department policies, processes and procedures
• Performs other duties as assigned
• 4 year degree in Business or Communications discipline (i.e. Marketing, Communications Studies, Human Resources) Social Sciences or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum 5 years of experience in job development, career advising and employment preparation, sales/marketing, cold calling/sales techniques, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems, and workshop delivery
• Strong planning and organizational skills with an ability to meet tight deadlines and changing priorities
• Excellent public speaking and communication skills (oral and written) for presenting to employers, advising students and facilitating employment preparation sessions
• Knowledge of post-secondary sector, the Canadian Labour Market, Centennial College programs, employment trends and marketing techniques
• Strong relationship building skills and a high degree of professionalism and diplomcay
• Ability to understand specific industry needs and employer expectations
• Proficiency in Banner or similar data management system
• A valid Ontario G Driver’s license and regular access to a vehicle is preferred
• Experience, knowledge and understanding of working effectively in a diverse environment
Diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental to our mission to educate students. We are committed to education that places strong emphasis on global citizenship, social justice and equity. We live this value through the strength and richness that diversity brings to our workforce and welcome contributors from equity groups including: Aboriginal Peoples, Visible Minorities, Persons with Disabilities, Lesbian Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer persons.
Classification:Full-time Support Staff
Location: Progress Campus
Hours per week: 35
Current Shift Schedule: Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Salary: $35.17 to $40.77per hour (Payband J)
Apply online: www.centennialcollege.ca/careers
"Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer."
When applying, your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted online by August 24, 2015at 4:30 PM. Please quote Competition #15-S-44. Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We regret we cannot accept phone calls. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities, including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC).