This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Other
Job ID: 10172
The Engineering Career Centre in the Schulich School of Engineering is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Employer Specialist.
Reporting to the Manager, Engineering Career Centre, this position will secure postings and work experience (relevant to engineering) opportunities for students to further the goals of students success and allow students to participate in the Internship program which advances the reputation of the Schulich School of Engineering Career Centre.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
Employer Focused Accountabilities
• Develop and maintain a network of industry contacts.; actively market to and recruit new employers to be partners in the Engineering Career Centre
• Identify target industries and companies to proactively upgrade client list for better jobs, better placement / postings rate, better meeting of student experience needs, and more consistent relationships
• Weekly metrics on contacts and positions secured will be reviewed quarterly to determine targets and success
• Advise supervisors and HR representatives on the development of job descriptions with suitable opportunities
• Provide advice, when requested, on engineering content of job postings and relevance / suitability for an Engineering student (Internship / summer position)
• Assist the ECC Advisor in providing clear communication to student where a position may not qualify for engineering experience as per APEGA
• Responsible for recruiting sufficient positions for the Internship program, to fill the desired interest from the Engineering Students
• Maintain knowledge of skills requirements and expectations of key employers (technical & behavioral); industry market segments and opportunities available; and potential career paths for new grad engineers
• Participate in the development of plans to accommodate the needs of key clients, within the context of providing a successful and valid internship experience for students
• Maintain relationships with existing employers in the program, contact requirements to be established (quarterly) and this includes following up with employers to either ensure that their needs are met through our process or provide alternative suggestions to them, and gathering feedback to be used to improve the process
• Annual job site visits with Employers to gather supervisor feedback, potentially student visit and ensure that employer requests are responded to promptly
Faculty Focused Accountabilities
• Create partnerships with the Academic Faculty who can assist in leading to industry contacts
• Actively participate with on-campus career services to stay abreast of new developments and trainings offered
• Familiarity with the Schulich School of Engineering programs (currently CPE, ECE, MME, CIV, GEO) and centres (CEERE, Pipeline, Project Management, BME, CBRE) to create industry placements for undergraduate students
• Technical expertise on the Careerlink system (Orbis) to ensure tracking and data analysis is required
• Assist with all aspects of the Engineering Career Centre expansion plan and actively contributing to the communication and marketing material for both internal and external stakeholders
Engineering Career Centre (ECC) Accountabilities
• Work with the ECC Advisor, provide instruction when required, on successful job search strategies to maximize student success
• Provide feedback on training and acting as back-up for ECC Advisor when necessary to deliver training on career preparedness
• Review the response to job postings, working with employer feedback to support ECC Advisor ensuring postings are noticed / responded to
• Entire ECC team will participate in the Internship Information Sessions for Students
• In conjunction with the ECC Advisor, provide a professional engineers' perspective on any unique challenges so that the ECC Advisor can coach and mentor interns with unique challenges (i.e.: academic probation, workplace issues, etc.) and/or assist displaced interns to be re-assigned or re-integrated to another workplace or to the academic setting
• Maintain knowledge of the international internship placement process (work visa process, communication practices, etc.); and Electronic data sharing practices (i.e.: linking to databases, posting information to websites)
• Review intern Merit Award nominations, and provide feedback on selection process
• Review marketing and communication material to provide updates, suggestions as the ECC expands in career preparedness
• Work with the ECC Business Coordinator to provide feedback on survey questions, review survey from employers for the purpose of process improvement
• Provide suggestions or recommendations to optimize ECC program and process, undertake new initiatives based on direction from the Leadership within the Schulich School of Engineering
• Report weekly activities and statistics at departmental meeting while contributing to the ECC program metrics
Qualifications / Requirements:
• A degree in engineering is required, as well as a minimum of 8 years professional engineering experience in industry
• A Professional Engineering (PEng) designation is strongly preferred, as is a working knowledge of the APEGA professional designation application process
• Specific experience of more than 5 years managing or mentoring engineering in training or new graduates is considered a strong asset
• Minimum of 5 years of experience with the engineering program and specific knowledge of engineering curriculum and all disciplines of engineering, as well as awareness of industries employing engineers is critical to success in this position
• Ability to act as an ambassador, interact with both students and individuals at all levels of organizations, and positively contribute to the Engineering Career Centre team is important
• Ability to interview and draw information out of others, analyze information quickly, and think creatively to resolve problems or act on or develop opportunities
• Demonstrated (5+ years experience) of professional communication (email, letter, in-person and presentation skills)
• Ability to connect independently (cold calling) with industry stakeholders and demonstrated comfort and skill in presenting in front of employers and students is a valuable asset
• Ability to adapt to a changing environment and work with the Faculty to advance the Engineering Career Centre
Application Deadline: April 13, 2016
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is classified in the Technical Professional Career Band, Level T3 of the Management and Professional Staff Career Framework.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website. For more information about Schulich School of Engineering visit Careers in the Schulich School of Engineering.
The University of Calgary believes that a respectful workplace, equal opportunity and building a diverse workforce contribute to the richness of the environment for teaching, learning and research, and provide faculty, staff, students and the public with a university that reflects the society it serves. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Manager, Engineering Career Centre
Telephone: 403 220 8821
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to become one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. Ranked as the top young university in Canada and North America, the University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.